Nomadic Fungi Institute. This has become a very personal project for me. One that I am enjoying and learning from. It has opened up doors to new experiences and new areas of personal growth. Just what you would expect when working around mutated fungi that feed on various automobile components.
So my BFS Art Blog will be put on the shelf. It has been fun and rewarding to write this blog which I started on my first trip to the Yucatan on December 28, 2007. I do hope you will all follow me over to The World Of Nomadic Fungi. There are things developing there that are quite extraordinary.
Here are the various links to the Nomadic Fungi Institute:
The World Of Nomadic Fungi
Nomadic Fungi Institute on Facebook
Nomadic_Fungi on Instagram
And of course you can always follow me on:
Brad Ford Smith on Facebook
Brad Ford Smith Pics on Instagram
I'll see you on the streets and in the galleries,
Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Monday, December 1, 2014
I have spent the last several chunks of real world time working on some of the blogs I help manage;
BFS Art Blog, The World Of Nomadic Fungi Blog, Studio Six Art Conservation Blog, and the NTAAC Blog (North Texas Association for Art Conservation). There was also the related Facebook Pages, Instagram, Pinterest, and Flickr links that required a little tickling as well.
This was all because Google pretty much stopped updating Feedburner the subscription management program for Blogspot. Google also does not fully support it's Google Friend Connect sign up program anymore either. There is also the Networked Blogs sign up program for Facebook that has become like hunting rabbits. You never know when or how the posts will show up on your Facebook page.
Anyway, I'll stop bellyaching about programing issues as it is as interesting as listening to people talk about their dreams.
Enjoy the above photo of Stanley and I hanging out in the studio.
Thursday, November 6, 2014
This is also a test posting to see if the new BFS Art Blog MailChimp subscription program is functioning correctly.
Thursday, August 28, 2014
Well, here I am writing that phrase in a way that looks like a commentary on blogging. But in fact it has been a long time, and I do feel bad about the long lag time. I have over a dozen posts waiting as drafts. Some just needing a good proofreading before posting.
So what has me so distracted? Well, about a year ago I started working with the Nomadic Fungi Institute as their archivist. I know, a hopeless dyslexic as an archivist? Just shows how desperate they are for any kind of help.
Anyway, I have become more involved with NFI than I would have ever thought. There is so much work to be done, and it seems the more that gets done the more there is to do. But I do believe strongly in what NFI is working towards so all the time and effort feels good. It feels important.
NFI has a blog that I hope you will visit. It is filled with photos, lab reports and even a few interviews. If you read any posts with lots of grammatical mayhem then you'll know its one I wrote.
There is also an NFI Facebook page and an Istagram feed. Here are the links to each.
Nomadic Fungi Institute Facebook
Nomadic Fungi Institute Instagram
Okay, let me get back to proofreading...
Monday, August 25, 2014
Actually this post is a test. Looks like my last two posts were never sent out via subscribers. Hopefully it was a fluke and this post will proceed with flying colors.
Saturday, August 23, 2014
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
For my snow globes I made small glazed ceramic sculptures that I epoxied to the inside lids of varies jars I've been collection over the last few months.
One of the key differences between a good snow globe and a less than satisfactory snow globe is the air trapped inside of the jar. If there is an air bubble at the top, you have a substandard snow globe.
The best way to prevent this bubble is to submerge all the parts in a bucket of water while putting the snow globe together. I was amazed at all the Youtube videos that skipped this detail. In fact I was amazed at all the videos that simply guaranteed the end product would be all round crappy.
In the photo above you will notice the green algae. This is due to the fact that I used egg shells instead of plastic confetti for my snow. Egg shell and mother of peal where common in Victorian snow globes, but the Victorians also tended to use oil instead of water... I did boil the egg shell first, but there was still enough proteins left to grow a very nice microcosm. Perhaps next time I'll add a few sea monkeys.