Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Spending Time with the Flocker

As stated in a previous posting, my sculpture for the SculptCAD Rapid Artist project had some issues with the surface clarity. So after considering various options I decided on black flocking. This of course changes the visual impact, but it still retains some of the depth distortion that a clear plastic would have. It also changes it from a feel of blown glass to soft and fleshy. 

I did a small project using flock a few weeks ago, but this is the first time I have done anything this big.  I first tried using the adhesive that Fowl Flocker sent me, which turned out to be a low quality acrylic paint that dried so quickly it was not usable on anything larger than a duck head. So I switched to Don Jer Suede-Tex adhesive. This worked much better.  Thankfully I have 3 sculptures to work with. By the time I got to the last one I was getting pretty good results. I was also covered in flocking.

No comments: